Thursday, October 24, 2013

You are my sunshine...

Many of you know I make cakes for a living.  If you don't, you can see my work here, and, lots of other places (just google Got What It Cakes). :)

I started making cakes because of Isabella, my 7 year old.  I wanted her to have a fabulous 1st birthday, but we had been living off of one verrrrrrrry tight income for well, a year ;)  And I just didn't have the kind of money needed for an over the top party...enter DIY Mandie.  I had always been crafty, with an eye for design, so I set out to make an 'under the sea'-themed party to remember...including, making the cake.  The cake was fair at best, but she loved it (or so her smile said), so I loved it.  And it also gave me the itch to make more.  Fast forward 7 years, and I'm about to open my very own store front in Pineville!!!

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.  My college bestie, Tina, who lives in Charleston, has a precious little boy, name Connor, and he was turning one!  She asked if I could recommend someone down there to make a cake, and I said, "why don't I just come down there for the party, and bring the cake?!  I don't think I have any other cakes that weekend!"  She was so excited, and so was I...I hadn't seen them since Connor was just born, so it was a gift to be able to be a part of this big day!  Tina and I started bouncing around theme ideas, and we kept coming back to the fact that Tina's hubby, Justin, is a meteorologist.  And I was OBSESSED with the idea of having a 'weather' themed party of some sort.  And when I have an idea, I have to follow through with it (which gets very exhausting).  But we still wanted it to be cute, young, and fun...enter 'You are my sunshine!'  It was perfect, and I got busy with design.  After many emails and pictures and phone calls and texts, Tina and I finalized every detail together.
After the theme was decided, I ordered printables right away.  Listen to me people...I highly suggest you order printables for any party you throw.  They tie everything together, are affordable, and are just plain cute. I asked my friend, Rachel, at RV Parties to get busy on design, and oh yeah, she was about to give birth to her third boy!  I told her I understood if it was bad timing, and she insisted it was "perfect" timing, because she would have down time in the hospital?!!! Yall, she emailed me the final proofs 3 hours after giving birth.  Yes, she is a ROCKSTAR. And yes, I do kind of get what she means about down time in the hospital...nurses on call, a chef (I use that loosely, although I do LOVE some hospital food), everyone tells you to lie down, and you have a nursery for the baby with built in expert help.  Oh, and no other kids to chase! Rachel, Tina and I are so appreciative for your hard work on everything for this party.

Make sure yall read to the end to see the giveaway that's going on right now from RV Parties!

Everything starts with the invitation...

I'm so excited to share the party pictures, taken by Tumbleston Photography ...ENJOY!
Here's the dessert table!  I knew I wanted to hang umbrellas upside down, and when I saw these old-school, clear ones, I was giddy!  We put some tissue paper inside to mock rain, and add dimension.
I glued rain drops, tied with fishing wire, to the umbrellas, and put some into the ceiling with thumb tacks.  The backdrop was made with a sheet and some thick ribbon...voila...we have rays of sun!  Grey fabric covers the table, and a pennant banner drapes across the front.


Cookies were shaped like clouds (made with a flower cutter), and umbrellas.  Printed paper lined the serving tray.  Marshmallows were dipped in chocolate and two-toned.  Cruffle pops were placed on top of round printables, with flags on the lollipop sticks for added cuteness.  And the cupcake display was styrofoam rounds, wrapped in printed, chevron paper.  I'm really mad at myself because I forgot to put the rice krispie treats, that were shaped like tear drops, on the final table.  Even though I had an extra empty plate, and an extra food tag, AND had made them myself, I *still* didn't notice that they weren't on the friggin' table...sigh. But here they are from my Instagram feed, to prove I did truly make them ;)

Ready for a close-up of the cake?!!! 
The printables really helped me with the design...I loved the repeating, staggered tear drop pattern, and well as the chevron.  A few clouds in the sky, and a sun with a C for Connor, completed the look!

Now, for the take home table! 

Poms, puffs, and latterns, in our color scheme hung above it using fishing wire, and thumb tacks!


I love a white goodie bag that I can dress up myself.  Some coordinating ribbon hot glued on the front, and a printable in the middle...DONE!  I love that Tina purchased these pinwheels that looked like the sun...I propped them out of the top for added decor.

Fill your own candy bags! Printables and ribbon personalize clear jars! Justin spray painted the O-N-E, and I love it on top of the fun fabric.

 The presents table was covered in fabric, and had pictures of Connor through the 12 months. Tina used ribbons and clothespins to hang them...so cute!  This was at the beginning of the party...Connor hit the jackpot with his gifts :)

I wanted a unique photo booth idea for the party, and again was inspired by the birthday boy's daddy!  Enter, the green screen!!!  We draped green fabric on the wall, and had random pieces of velcro on it. Then we had big rain drops, suns, and clouds that the kids could move around however they wanted to create their own weather patterns!  A coat rack hung next to it and had a suit jacket, tie, and umbrella on it.  Plus, we had a basket of microphones, silly glasses, and more props to use as well, on the floor.  "And now, for a check on the weather, we'll go to Bella..."

Tina had BBQ catered for the party (YUM!), and a drink station set up on the counter...
Yes, we are adorable with the Sun Drop ;)  It was just too perfect for our theme!  And I love that Tina had fresh flowers throughout the decor...SUNflowers were such a great touch!  

After we finished our food, it was time for CAKE, specifically the smash cake!  I simply removed the top tier of the cake, and that became Connor's!  He wasn't sure what to do at first...
But here's the trick to getting them to eat the cake...move it as close to their face as possible..
He got the hang of it :)

Justin and LeAnne didn't want a drop of it to go to waste LOL!!!

Some action shots of the par-tay!
Yes, my girls' outfits match the color scheme, and no, they never get sick of mommy's cupcakes ;)

Tina and Justin, thank you for letting me be a part of such a special day in your little weatherman's life...I had a blast, and can't see what we do for his 2nd!!!!  JUST KIDDING Justin! ;)

So I promised yall a giveaway, right?!  To celebrate RV Parties 1,000 fan on Facebook, they've decided to give one of their awesome, custom plates to one winner!!! I have 2 of them for my minis, and they LOVE them!  Click on this link to see how to enter!  If it's not showing up, make sure you've "liked" their Facebook page!  And then click on the blue giveaway button at the top of it!

Decor & More TIPS:
~Use fabric!!!  It makes all of the difference in the world, and although I can sew, I didn't for this party.  Just an iron will do the trick!  Solid fabric is CHEAP...buy the majority of yards in solid fabric, and dress it up with the patterned fabric.  
~Go the printable route with invites and decorations!  You purchase the package ONCE, and then print as MUCH as you want, and need!  So much more cost effective.
~Look around the house...use glass jars that you already have, and dress them up with ribbon to coordinate with your theme. We didn't have to buy anything for the photo booth...Tina had everything already!

Now go outside and tell me what kind of weather you have going on today in your neck of the woods!

7 comments:

  1. ACK! Now I'm embarrassed how fast I sent you stuff. But really, childbirth is hard. Sitting in the hospital is easy. :) It turned out GORGEOUS. I absolutely love it times a million.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be embarrassed! You're amazing!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post! :) This theme is SOOO fun & adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG ��������I have bern looking every where for a Sunshine theme bday deco for my baby boy and every thing is yellow & PINK UUGHH, soooooo glad I foubd your blog, definitely copying some ideas��☺️ Thank youuuuu soi much for sharing ����������

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love EVERY detail!! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love EVERY detail!! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete